So how do I even begin to find a PT?

Finding a PT can be an overwhelming process, but taking the time to do some research may help you find the provider who is right for you. Here are some places to begin:

  1. Ask your primary care physician or surgeon for recommendations. If you are having surgery locally, your PCP or surgeon may already have relationships with PTs in the area who have treated other patients.
  2. Visit the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) website for therapists who are members of the APTA (professional membership is voluntary and does not have anything to do with a therapist’s skill level).
  3. Search for board certified specialists in your area. For adolescent and adult patients with hip dysplasia, generally a PT who specializes in orthopedics and has an “OCS” might be most appropriate, but in some cases a therapist who specializes in sports, women’s health, or pediatrics might be equally appropriate.
  4. Ask family members, friends, or other hip dysplasia patients for recommendations. Keep in mind that the best PT for one patient and their diagnosis may not be the best for you, but sometimes “word of mouth” can be a great way to find a PT.
  5. Contact local hospitals. Hospitals often have out-patient PT clinics associated with them or may be able to tell you where they tend to refer patients to.